1932 – A second meeting is called on January 15 and the Vice President of the 6th District of the IAFF, Captain MacDonald of the Vancouver Fire Department, addresses the Burnaby Fire Department. The first union meeting will take place on March 30 and the Vice President of the 6th District will present the Charter that officially forms the City Firefighters Union Local 323. Frank Noble was elected first president of the Union and Gordon Waddell first secretary. Members include Fred Blake, Henry Chapman, Albert Killer, Ed Tugwood and Bill Harris. 1937 – Officers in charge Gord Waddell (north) and William Banks (south) attend an annual fire school. 1972 – In February, Council authorizes the construction of the #6 fire station on Brighton Avenue and Winston Street for 99,444 $US. On February 29, Chief Auvache retired. Deputy Chief Collum is promoted to Fire Chief. Senior Mechanic Barry Howard began systematically replacing all gas-powered engines with diesel engines. Confirmation of the compressed air brake is required and several older members become certified instructors to train other members of the department. 1946: By order of the provincial government, Burnaby must hire six additional firefighters. On 9 October, the Council authorised the construction of a new fire hall in Willingdon and Hastings.
The $28,000 contract will be awarded to Bennett & White contractors. 1952: Fred Blake is promoted to district chief and is responsible for training. . . .